DNAzure® Blue Nucleic Acid Gel Stain, 100X
Visualize DNA bands in gels by unaided eye and without UV light sources. Detection is highly sensitive and rivals most fluorescence-based gel stains.
- Deep blue bands visible by the naked eye following 5-30 min bright light exposure
- Safer non-UV light sources eliminate the need for protective eye wear and expensive imaging equipment
- Ultrasensitive detection, as little as ~1 ng DNA
- Simplified DNA band excision, without the need for DNA-damaging UV light
- Bands are stable for weeks after color development
- Compatible with downstream applications such as sequencing and cloning
- Stain also can be imaged on LI-COR® Odyssey® or other near-IR imaging systems
DNAzure® Blue Nucleic Acid Gel Stain is a DNA-binding dye that turns from colorless to deep blue upon exposure to bright light. After color development, the stain also has broad emission near-infrared fluorescence that can be imaged using the LI-COR®, Odyssey®, or similar near-IR imaging systems. The sensitivity of detection is similar for visible color and near-IR imaging. DNAzure® is compatible with agarose gels or polyacrylamide gels as well as downstream applications such as sequencing and cloning. The dye efficiently removed from DNA by common gel extraction kits that utilize silica-based DNA purification columns.
Biotium’s 1 kb DNA ladder was loaded on a 1% agarose gel in two-fold dilutions, ranging from 200 ng to 25 ng total ladder per lane. The mass of the 500 bp band in each lane is labeled. The gel was stained with DNAzure® Blue Nucleic Acid Gel Stain for 25 minutes, and then the visible blue DNA bands were developed for 30 minutes using the Glo-Plate™ Blue LED Illuminator. The gel was placed on a white light box and imaged with a cell phone camera.
After incubation with DNAzure® Blue Nucleic Acid Gel Stain, the gel must be exposed to bright light to facilitate the development of dark blue DNA bands.
Light exposure can be performed with a variety of white and blue light sources. For best results, we recommend performing the light exposure with either the Gel-Bright™ LED Gel Illuminator or the Glo-Plate™ Blue LED Illuminator. Both devices produce blue light from LEDs and are very effective at rapidly producing the color change in DNAzure®-stained gels. The Gel-Bright™ is also an excellent instrument for viewing gels stained with the fluorescent green DNA gel stain, GelGreen®.